Family

Family

Monday, August 2, 2010

Our First Trip To Hawaii!

Chris had his annual CFMA meeting in Hawaii this year. Jim, his boss, said that he could go as long as he took me! So he had to :) We went for about 13 days. It was wonderful. The people were friendly and the food was good. The beauty of the islands is amazing. It is very much what they call 'Hawaiian Time'..So we learned to sit back and relax and go with the flow...


My pretty pink toes sitting in first class!
Chris and I getting punch drunk! The plane ride was about 6 hours from Phx. We flew out from Abq. Chris surprised me with first class tickets!..We had huge seats,our own little movie screens, a great lunch, and all the snacks that we wanted...First class rocks!

Where we stayed while we were here. It was such a huge place. It has its own tram to get you back and forth between the towers..


The view from our hotel. We went running on the trails each morning. It is so very peaceful to listen to the waves hit the lava rock and see for miles just all blue. It is truly beautiful.


One of the totems at the Palace of Refuge. This is the coolest thing ever. There was a crazy amount of 'kapu' (forbidden) laws that had to be held otherwise you die or you can run here and be saved a priest and live. Right behind little totem is an area where they would have sacrifices. I want to be a queen when I grow up and have a place where people can run and...



Chris and I at one of the totems

Nat and I at the Palace of Refuge. This is where you would have to run your butt off before the kings soldiers got to you and killed you. If you made it here you were safe and would be able to live and be forgiven of whatever 'kapu' you did.



We went to Hilo side of the island. On our way back w went to this little chocolate factory that have chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Only they have a HUGE play on words! Nat and I were cracking up we found it hilarious, the guys left the store cuz they thought we were lame. Anyway, they had salty balls, blue balls, fire balls etc...



The reason it is 'donkey' because way back when....they had donkeys that would help carry the mac nuts that were harvested...



mmmmm.malasadas. They are Hawaiian donuts with whatever in the middle or nothing at all.. This one is from Tex's. I found it to be good, however I loved the Bavarian cream filling even more!



We ate at a Tepenayki Grill one night. It was so good. Everything tasted great! The chef was fun and it was cool watching how fast he worked with all of the food. There was about 10 of us at a table and in this picture you can see a man from Japan and he would watch all of us struggling with the chopsticks and grin. Then he said that Chris was a good teacher because he could use his chopsticks really well!


This is at Bubba Gumps..It is Chris's eaten already seafood.It is a fun place and it also has a beautiful view of the ocean (I know everywhere is ocean :))



We tried to go to the Kona Temple and do a session. IT IS NOT like here on the mainland. They only had a few sessions and they were all booked up because a group of Oahu came over to do some work. It is a pretty little temple.



KC and Nat also!



Chris and I.



Some scenic shots. This is from Bubba Gump.




This is called Akaka Falls. Sorry it is turned to the side! However, it was very pretty here and even thru the little walk area



This is near the botanical gardens. You can walk right up to this area. It is very rough but very beautiful, the power of the sea is amazing!



Chris and I again at Akaka falls.


The botanical Gardens. These were Ginger Rosebud Plants. They were pretty. They also did have something called the 'Money Tree'. I want one of those so that I can plant it and then let it die and then tell my kids that they money tree in the backyard wilted!




Hawaii (the big island) is still growing, meaning that it is still having eruptions and getting land mass. We drove over there and looked around. It is pretty neat to see. However, the smell of sulfur is so gross! It permeates the air.



I just took a picture of this because it has Calder's name in it. Oh, and it is also the name of the Volcano.



Our last night in Hawaii. We had such a good time. It was nice to be with just my husband and get to know each other again. Sometimes I forget that he isn't just a daddy. He is also the man that I fell in love with and married. Thank you for a wonderful vacation.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an awesome trip. Sounds like you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete